West Coast and Marlborough Floods

Saturday 24 Jul – last updated 10:29 am: Local states of emergency remain in place for Buller District and Marlborough District. West Coast Civil Defence Emergency Management is coordinating assistance to communities affected by the Buller flooding event.

For West Coast updates, visit the Buller District Council website www.bullerdc.govt.nz and the Buller Emergency Management Facebook. Call 0800 768 348 any time between 9am and 6pm every day of the week for help dealing with the aftermath of the flood, or with any questions you have.

For Marlborough updates, follow the Marlborough District Council Facebook.

After a flood:

  • It may not be safe to return home even when the floodwaters have receded. Only return home after Civil Defence and emergency services have told you it is safe to do so.
  • Always wear protective gear when cleaning up after a flood, including gloves and masks, in case you’re exposed to hazardous material. Wash your hands thoroughly after each clean-up session and before handling food.
  • Check your local council’s website to see if there is a ‘boil water’ notice in place for your area.

Where to turn to for help and support

If you or someone you know is struggling, there is free help available. Free call or text 1737 anytime, 24 hours a day. You can also call Lifeline on 0800543354 or text HELP to 4357. We all need a little help from time to time, and you don’t have to go it alone.

Remember, in an emergency, always call 111.

Financial support

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding in the Buller District. You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment. Visit www.workandincome.govt.nz or call Work and Income on 0800 752 102 for more information.


If your home, car or contents have been damaged by the severe weather, take photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible.

Temporary Accommodation Service is available to help

The Temporary Accommodation Service run by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is available to support you to find temporary accommodation while your home is being repaired or rebuilt following the flooding.

To register your details, please visit www.tas.mbie.govt.nz or call 0508 754 163.

After registering your details, you will be contacted by a temporary accommodation staff member who will assess your needs and work with you to help you find suitable temporary accommodation for your household.

See our factsheet to find out what support is available and where can you get help.