Due to a land slip and damage, Nevis Road will remain closed until 15 October.
The Nevis Road will stay closed longer than usual because of a slip and damage that occurred over winter.
The road was due to open on Thursday (30 September) but will remain closed until 15 October due to the land slip and intense scouring of the track.
Central Otago District Council’s contractor will be on site to repair the damage and it is hoped road will be reopened as soon as possible.
The Council closes a number of high country roads from the Tuesday following Queen’s Birthday weekend to 30 September, with the exception of Old Dunstan Road (from Linnburn Runs Rd to Poolburn Dam), which is closed annually and will reopen on 22 October. This is to prevent damage that would occur to these roads if they were used by vehicles during the winter months.
The following roads which are closed annually are due to reopen this week:
- Lake Onslow Road from Paerau/Styx to the boundary gate at Lake Onslow
- Old Dunstan Road from Paerau Road to Dunedin City Council boundary
- Nevis Road from Commissioners Creek to the Southland District boundary
- Bridge Huts Road from Bridge 185
- Upper Manorburn Dam Road from the intersection with Aston Road